In the Advanced Computer Lab project this year, we’re supposed to write a VXML application of our choice and deploy it on Voxeo prophecy. For some of us, the SIP phone that comes bundled with the server did not work. It always gave a call failed error.
I googled the error and after some investigation I found a solution here.
I decided to dedicate a blog post to this one coz I need to write something in here
- Download and install the voxeo prophecy server.
- For me, after the first installation, I kept clicking on start all services and nothing worked. So I had to reinstall it to a different location and it worked.
- After installing the prophecy server, click on its icon > Start > All.
- When that’s done, try starting the SIP Phone. Type sip:firstname.lastname@example.org and click Call. If it worked, stop here. Else, continue.
- Download X-Lite.
- Install it.
- Open it and click on account settings.
- Click the + icon in the bottom left of the window and click the New SIP account
- Enter any USER ID, let’s say xyz. For the domain, enter 127.0.0.1. Make sure you uncheck the Register with domain and receive calls checkbox.
- Click ok. If everything went as intended, you would see something like this
- Now close the window and return to the application. Type sip:email@example.com and click call. It should work.
- If you open the default voxeo SIP phone by clicking on the icon > SIP Phone, typing firstname.lastname@example.org and clicking call should work as well. Why? no idea.
These were the exact steps that got the default SIP phone working with me.